In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, smart choices in the grocery store and kitchen are vital in achieving a balanced and nutritious diet. It is never too late to adopt healthier habits, and making simple changes to your shopping and cooking routines will help you achieve your goal.
Plan your visit to the grocery store before leaving the house. Plan healthy meals and make a grocery list that includes the necessary ingredients. If you are making changes to improve your health or regulate your body weight, focus on foods that promote a balanced diet.
Though certain health conditions require specific dietary needs, maintain a balance of low-fat, low-sodium, lactose-free and whole grain options. While shopping, compare food labels of similar items to determine the healthiest choice. Look for options with reduced sodium, or trans-fat, especially when buying lunch meats and cheese. Buy a variety of fruits and vegetables and never go shopping when you are hungry!
Tips for Healthy Eating:
- Maintain healthy eating habits by avoiding foods, such as butter or fried foods, to help lower your cholesterol. Eliminate sugars by choosing water or tea over soda and high-sugar fruit juices.
- Frozen or canned fruits and vegetables provide nutrients while lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Nuts and other high fiber foods help to lower cholesterol and keep you full, lowering your chances of overeating.
- Milk, cheese, yogurt, and non-dairy foods including broccoli, kale, and almonds provide a great source of calcium.
- Whole grain pasta, bread and cereal are better options than foods made with processed white flour.
- Fish, beans, peas and eggs are all great sources of protein.
- Pay attention to how you cook your food. It is best to avoid frying foods and to steam vegetables so that the nutrients are not lost.
Understanding the changes your body will make with age will help you appreciate why healthy shopping and eating habits are important. Every year after 40, your metabolism slows down, burning fewer calories. Eating healthy habits will help you avoid high cholesterol and weight gain, amongst other health risks.
Maintaining a healthy diet keeps organs, bones, muscles and other body parts strong, while the vitamins and nutrients in fruits and vegetables keep the mind sharp. Healthy meals give you more energy; keeping you alert, on your feet, and independent.
Visiting Nurse Association of Ohio offers a variety of private-duty services, including assistance with grocery shopping and meal preparation to meet the dietary needs of each client. If your loved one is in need of extra assistance, call now to discuss care options today.
Call VNA of Ohio Today
Learn more about VNA of Ohio private-duty home care services, or call us today at 1-877-698-6264.