What patient or caregiver couldn’t use an extra pair of helping hands inside the home? Personal...
Special Care Services: Introduction to Palliative Care
Patients who are living with a life-threatening or life-limiting illness need a specialized blueprint of care. Special Care services, including palliative care, can relieve suffering and improve patients' quality of life while undergoing treatment.
VNA of Ohio's Special Care team works with patients and their physicians to identify goals of care with an emphasis on pain and symptom management.
The goal is to relieve suffering, improve how patient feels on a day-to-day basis and offer the help needed to live as comfortably as possible. In many cases, patients continue to receive treatment for their illnesses, while in other cases they choose a smooth transition to hospice with VNA of Ohio.
Components of a Special Care Plan:
- A holistic approach to care, focused on the physical, psychological and spiritual needs of the patients and their families
- Palliative care, which consists of pain assessment and relief and symptom management
- Monitoring of disease progression
Common Illnesses Among Special Care Patients:
- Alzheimer’s disease or dementia
- Chronic lung disease or emphysema
- Heart disease or heart failure
- Chronic kidney disease
- Other advanced illnesses such as HIV/AIDS
Call VNA of Ohio Today
Learn more about VNA of Ohio Special Care cervices, including palliative care, or call us today at 1-877-698-6264.